A private, 70 acre estate in Bedford, NY with world class plant collections and a variety of garden types including a Japanese Maple Garden, Alpine Garden, Perennial Border, Meadows, Yellow Garden, Conifer Garden, Cutting Garden, Vegetable Garden and Greenhouses is seeking an experienced horticulturist to maintain the woodland garden.
The Position: The Woodland Gardener primarily maintains all aspects of an 8-acre woodland garden that includes an extensive Japanese Maple collection, rare ephemeral and perennial plant collections, moss areas and several waterfalls. The position is full time, seasonal, with the potential for full time employment.
- Maintain all aspects of an intensely cultivated and well-established woodland garden—this includes planting, dividing, weeding, mulching, pruning, deadheading, etc. using best horticultural practices.
- Record plant acquisitions, transplants and de-accessioned material; maintain all plant labels within the garden and replace as needed.
- Fine prune Japanese Maple collection.
- Monitor for pests and disease.
- Renovate entire beds including soil amendments and plant division.
- Monitor irrigation system and report any problems.
- Hand water newly planted trees and shrubs.
- Work in conjunction with other gardeners on large projects throughout the property.
- Maintain neat and orderly workspace and personal appearance.
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field preferred and a minimum of 3 years, hands-on, fine gardening experience.
- Must possess a passion for plants and a superior working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural requirements.
- Ability to recognize pests and disease, and implement IPM strategies.
- Must be self-motivated, able to manage time efficiently and execute tasks independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and experience manipulating spreadsheets.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to perform strenuous labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to variables like weather, scheduling and events.
Those passionate about gardening and plants, interested in working in an extraordinary space and who are ready to keep the pace with a dedicated and knowledgeable staff should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org