Woodland Horticulture Technician
Park Conservancy is the non-profit conservancy that supports the New York City Parks Department in the care and
restoration of Riverside Park, one of New York’s flagship parks and a
registered Scenic Landmark.
Riverside Park Conservancy is looking for an
entry level garden technician to help advance horticulture in Riverside Park.
This garden technician will perform physically demanding work, work with
volunteers, interact well with the public, and be positive, flexible, and an
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist with maintaining and advancing horticultural and restoration areas, according to Parks Department standards and Conservancy priorities.
- Create and carry out work plans, as directed by a Zone Gardener, Hort Supervisor & the Manager of Park Operations.
- Learn to identify plants and their maintenance needs: in particular, native woodland plant species.
- Working with a Zone Gardener, care for assigned gardens and landscape areas, adhering to and sustaining approved planting plans on appropriate seasonal schedule.
- Collect and remove trash and debris; sweep paths and stairs; install and maintain temporary fencing; remove snow and ice; operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
- Perform other assigned duties.
- One year of experience in horticulture and/or hands-on environmental work, including planting and caring for plants, shrubs, trees, and lawns, and general grounds keeping as described above, including work with volunteers, OR
- Two years’ (minimum) relevant work experience that demonstrates transferable skills to this roll
- Preferred: at least 15 credits in horticulture or a related field from an accredited organization.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to work a 7:00 am to 3:30 pm work day. Flexibility to work during weekends and infrequently evenings for special events.
- Must be able to lift 40
- pounds and work and maneuver outdoors (in all weather conditions) on the 400-acre
- property’s often difficult terrains.
- Additional areas of education or specialization such as
- native plants or restoration experience considered a plus.
Please email resume to email@example.com with the subject line: “Garden Technician”
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Riverside Park Conservancy
Website: Apply Online