Woodlands Youth Crew Intern
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Woodlands Youth Crew Intern works as part of a team to care for the wooded “forever wild” areas of Prospect Park.
The pay rate for this position is set at $15.00 per hour
Ecological Restoration/Hard Skills
- Vegetation control of exotic invasive species using mechanical means
- Operation & maintenance of equipment, such as hand saws, wheelbarrows, loppers, hand pruners, drills, spades, pitchforks in a safe and efficient manner
- Installation of various erosion control structures
- Fence installation and repair to protect sites and mitigate compaction
- Proper planting and maintenance of native trees, shrub, and herbaceous species in project areas
Teamwork and Job Skills Training/Soft Skills
- Continues to learn more about natural ecosystems and their management whenever the opportunity arises
- Train, work with, and instruct less experienced crew members in all above skill related responsibilities
- Enter, keep, and maintain records documenting work activities under supervision of Youth Program Manager
- Maintain a positive work attitude by behaving and communicating in a cooperative manner with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A current and valid NYC Work Permit
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- A passion for and commitment to the Alliance mission, sustaining the environment and the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Must be punctual and has the ability to work well, both individually and as part of a group.
- Comfortable performing manual landscaping work in a park setting.
- Self motivated and has the willingness to learn and try new things.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in the field which subjects the intern to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions and involves some exposure to moderate risk of accident/injury requiring following basic safety precautions
- Regularly requires operating equipment where carelessness could result in injury; standing for extended periods of time; stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, pushing, pulling and/or crawling; use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills; use of a desktop, laptop or video display terminal.
- Manual labor requires moderate physical exertion - consistent need to lift, push, pull, carry, etc. up to 50lbs. May require special safety precautions, such as working around moving parts, machines or with irritant chemicals. Will be required to use protective clothing or gear.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
- Work is normally performed in the field which subjects the intern to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions and involves some exposure to moderate risk of accident/injury requiring following basic safety precautions.
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
The Woodlands Youth Crew receives generous support from the Carol and Edmund Blake Foundation, the Gray Foundation, and New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.
Prospect Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online