Youth Programs Manager
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $25-$30/hour depending on experience
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance (VCPA) seeks a Youth Programs Manager who is motivated, self directed, and energetic with strong interest in youth development and outdoor environmental work to lead the Urban Ecology Teen Internship (Urban Eco-Teens), conduct educational and volunteer activities for high school students and assist with other programs in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.
Founded in 2012, Urban Eco-Teens is a paid internship for high school students that prepares a new generation of students for college, stewardship, and careers in the environmental fields. All interns work in the park alongside horticulturists and natural areas restoration staff from Van Cortlandt Park. They also complete labs, go on nature-focused field trips, and explore green career opportunities with natural resource professionals. Eligible summer participants attend a tuition free, accredited, rigorous college course, Sustainable Cities, at Manhattan College; returning interns develop and present a special project; and, each year, two college-aged students develop leadership skills by working as program Crew Leaders.
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance provided educational programs for school groups as a part of our Van Cortlandt Adventures programs. VCPA provides community stewardship programs for all ages to assist with natural areas restoration, trail restoration, general clean up and Garden & Compost Site care within the 1,146 acres of Van Cortlandt Park. This role will provide both educational and stewardship programming for high school students and occasionally other ages. This work would be coordinated with current VCPA staff who oversee these programs.
- Conduct recruitment and outreach of interns for Urban Ecology Teen Internship.
- Manage program budget and purchasing in coordination with the Deputy Director.
- Develop, organize, and lead programming in the natural sciences, environmental studies, college/career readiness, job readiness, and leadership skills.
- Supervise and train college-age crew leaders in youth development principles and leadership skills.
- Coordinate end-of-season presentation of Urban Eco-Teens and Garden 2 Market in collaboration with other VCPA staff.
- Track program alumni in an organized, ongoing manner.
- Provide educational and stewardship programming for high school groups during the spring and fall using current VCPA curriculum and creating new curriculum for these programs.
- Maintain all program related metrics.
General VCPA Activities:
- Represent VCPA at community or tabling events outside the park.
- Create content for social media pertaining to programs and events.
- Office support and other tasks as needed.
- Participation as part of VCPA team in any and all fundraising, educational, community, and other events.
- Assist in program-related grant proposals and report writing.
- Prepare reports to be submitted to the Executive Director.
- College degree in environmental science or related field. Graduate degree is a plus.
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience working with urban teens
- Ability to manage logistics and problem solve without direct supervision
- Strong, professional communication skills
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- First Aid and CPR Certification
- Valid Driver’s License
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination and booster vaccination
April 2023 to mid-November 2023, with the possibility of extension
35 hours per week
Schedule varies but typically from 9am to 5pm with occasional evenings and Saturdays
Reports to: Deputy Director
Send resume and 3 references to email@example.com.
Applicants will be interviewed until positions are filled.
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance
Preserves, supports, and promotes the recreational, ecological, and historical value of
Van Cortlandt Park. The organization raises funds to support the park, oversees 2,000+ volunteers per year, educates over 1,000 students, and provides cultural and environmental programming for the public, encouraging them to become stewards of their beloved green resource in the Bronx.
Please support our work – sign up to volunteer or donate today!
For more information, visit vancortlandt.org.
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance
Contact Name: Christina Taylor