Youth Programs Manager
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: 04/17/2023 Compensation: $45,000 to $50,000 depending on experience
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance (VCPA) seeks a Youth Programs Manager who is motivated, self-directed, and energetic with strong interest in youth development and outdoor environmental work to lead the Urban Ecology Teen Internship (Urban Eco-Teens) over the summer; throughout the year, they will conduct educational and volunteer programs with young people and assist with other events and activities in support of VCPA’s mission.
Founded in 2012, the Urban Eco-Teens program is an 7-week, paid summer internship for high school students that prepares a new generation of students for college, stewardship, and careers in environmental fields. Interns work in the park alongside natural areas restoration staff from Van Cortlandt Park. They also complete labs, go on nature-focused field trips, and explore green career opportunities with natural resource professionals. Eligible participants attend a tuition free, accredited, college course,T Topics in Environmental Studies, at Manhattan College; returning interns develop and present a special project; and, each year, two college-aged students develop leadership skills by working as program Crew Leaders. Urban Eco-Teens is a signature program of the Alliance and the Youth Programs Manager is responsible for overseeing the program’s success.
School Year Programming
The Youth Programs Manager will lead educational programming for school groups as a part of Van Cortlandt Adventures programs. While the main focus of the Youth Programs Manager’s work is with older kids and youth, they may be called upon to work with younger children and/or families. The Youth Programs Manager will also lead natural areas and trail restoration projects, general park cleanup, and Garden & Compost Site care, within the 1,146 acres of Van Cortlandt Park as part of VCPA’s community stewardship programs.
- Conduct recruitment and outreach of interns for Urban Ecology Teen Internship.
- Manage program budget and purchasing in coordination with the Deputy Director.
- Develop, organize, and lead programming in the natural sciences, environmental studies, college/career readiness, job readiness, and leadership skills.
- Supervise and train college-age crew leaders in youth development principles and leadership skills.
- Coordinate end-of-season presentation of Urban Eco-Teens and Garden 2 Market in collaboration with other VCPA staff.
- Track program alumni in an organized, ongoing manner.
School Year Programming:
- Provide educational and stewardship programming for high school groups during the spring, fall and winter using current VCPA curriculum and creating new curriculum for these programs.
- Maintain all program related metrics.
- Conduct outreach to increase audience and program participation.
General VCPA Activities:
- Represent VCPA at community or tabling events outside the park.
- Create content for social media pertaining to programs and events.
- Office support and other tasks as needed.
- Participation in all fundraising, educational, community, and other events.
- Assist in program-related grant proposals and report writing.
- Prepare reports to be submitted to the Executive Director.
- College degree in environmental science or related field. Graduate degree is a plus.
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience working with urban teens
- Ability to manage logistics and problem solve without direct supervision
- Strong, professional communication skills
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- First Aid and CPR Certification
- Valid Driver’s License
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance
Contact Name: Christina Taylor
Website: Apply Online