(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Riverside Park Conservancy is the non-profit conservancy supporting the New York City Parks Department in the care and restoration of Riverside Park, one of New York’s flagship parks and a registered Scenic Landmark.
Riverside Park Conservancy is looking for full time Gardeners. Riverside Park and the adjacent Riverside Park South, West Harlem Piers Park, and Fort Washington Park contain numerous entrance gardens, woodlands, scenic promenades, ballfields, cafes, and access to six miles of Hudson River waterfront. Riverside Park, one of New York City’s premier waterfront parks, is a Scenic Landmark originally designed by Frederick Law Olmsted.
- Maintain and advance horticultural and restoration areas, according to Parks Department standards and Conservancy priorities.
- Create and carry out work plans in conjunction with area supervisor.
- Identify plants and their maintenance needs.
- Care for assigned gardens and landscape areas, adhering to and sustaining approved planting plans on appropriate seasonal schedule.
- Prune, weed, mulch, water, edge beds, lay out and install new plantings.
- Participate in selection process for new plants as needs dictate.
- Engage in periodic turf renovation projects.
- Work on erosion control projects at direction of supervisor.
- Work closely with the Grassroots Volunteer Program. Plan and carry out logistics.
- Work closely with and support individual volunteers in the care of their assigned areas.
- Collect and remove trash and debris; sweep paths and stairs; install and maintain temporary fencing; remove snow and ice.
- Must be able to safety and effectively operate basic power tools including leaf blowers, reticulating shears and weedwhackers.
- Periodically repair fencing as required.
- Perform other assigned duties as required.
- One year or more of full time experience in horticultural work, including planting and caring for plants, shrubs, trees, and lawns, and general grounds keeping as described above, including work with volunteers.
- OR at least 30 credits from an accredited institution in the fields of horticulture, golf course management, conservation or exterior property management.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds. Must be available to work weekends.
- Must have strong time management and communication skills.
- Must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Some weekend and evening work is required.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Zone Gardener’ in the subject line.
Riverside Park Conservancy provides a competitive benefits package, including 401(k), health care and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Riverside Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.
Riverside Park Conservancy