Zone Gardener - Brooklyn
Start Date: March 2, 2020 Compensation: $43,410 per annum
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Zone Gardener is responsible for all aspects of
monitoring and caring for NYRP owned community gardens in Brooklyn and Queens. The Zone Gardener is responsible for diverse plantings and hardscape; this position requires horticultural skills and an interest in working collaboratively with community members to sustain welcoming and functional green space as a community resource.
- Maintenance and horticultural tasks inclusive of litter and debris removal; plant installation and maintenance, mowing, weeding, watering, mulching, delivery of supplies, painting, graffiti removal, snow removal and other tasks necessary;
- Collaborate with the Brooklyn Zone Manager to develop work plans, coordinate route schedules, communicate site conditions to provide professional standards of service delivery to work sites;
- Lead seasonal crew members, assessing skill levels and insuring the safe execution of daily work orders, providing on-site training as needed;
- Manage groups of volunteers and community partners to guide positive efforts in NYRP managed space or on special projects;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner, provide support and guidance to garden members in a manner consistent with NYRP standards and policies;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist with executing greening projects and bag snagging from trees during winter months throughout the city;
- Safely drive and operate vehicles, mowing and other motorized equipment;
- Operate and maintain tools and equipment, insuring safe practices at all times;
- File work reports as required by direct supervisor.
- Two or more year’s horticultural experience with strong knowledge of plant culture, maintenance and identification;
- Valid and Clean NY state driver’s license;
- Ability to supervise a crew and provide training;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, handle
- electric equipment, power tools and lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
Schedule: 8:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday-Friday (Occasional Weekend Days as needed).
Benefits: Health and dental insurance, paid time off.
Application: Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, NY, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
New York Restoration Project