Zone Gardener, Year Round
Riverside Park Conservancy is the non-profit conservancy supporting the New York City Parks Department in the care and restoration of Riverside Park, one of New York’s flagship parks and a registered Scenic Landmark.
- Maintain and advance horticultural and restoration areas, according to Parks Department standards and Conservancy priorities.
- Create and carry out work plans in conjunction with area supervisor. Identify plants and their maintenance needs: in particular native woodland plant species.
- Must have strong time management and communication skills.
- Care for assigned gardens and landscape areas, adhering to and sustaining approved planting plans on appropriate seasonal schedule.
- Work closely with the Grassroots Volunteer Program. Plan and carry out logistics.
- Lead groups of volunteers. Be comfortable talking in front of a group and giving clear direction; instruct volunteers in proper techniques, a successful project outcome, and the care and use of tools.
- Work closely with and support individual volunteers in the care of their assigned areas, responding to requests for materials and other needs. Coordinate with volunteer department.
- As required, keep simple records and prepare written reports. May supervise other staff as directed.
- Collect and remove trash and debris; sweep paths and stairs; install and maintain temporary fencing; remove snow and ice; operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
- Perform other assigned duties.
- Two years full time experience in horticultural/ landscaping work, including planting and caring for plants, shrubs, trees, and lawns, and general grounds keeping as described above. Prior experience working with volunteers is a plus.
- Education/ credits in the field of horticulture or conservation a plus but not required
- Current driver’s license
- Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs
- Must be available to work weekends
To Apply: Please submit your and cover letter via email to email@example.com with ‘Zone Gardener’ in the subject line.
Riverside Park Conservancy provides a competitive benefits package, including 401(k), health care and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Riverside Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by
Riverside Park Conservancy