Horticultural Technician 2
Compensation: $43,970 -$56,324
Under the supervision of the Park Manager 2 and/or higher-level personnel, the position is located at DF Riverbank State Park but also assists other state parks in the New York City Region.
The Horticultural Technician 2 would provide general horticultural services to the Park; supervise, train, and schedule skilled and semi-skilled employees and volunteers; prepare sketches and schematics for Horticultural Technicians 1 and grounds staff to plant and construct gardens; experiment with a wide variety of plants to determine those most suitable for a site or region; determine regional planting needs, develop propagation schedules, order materials, and supervise propagation of plants, trees, and shrubs for a region or major site; develop and implement integrated pest management systems; advise maintenance and grounds staff regarding plant and grounds care and maintenance; supervise and maintain greenhouses and related equipment; directs the maintenance and care of gardens or programs and structures as needed; operates and maintains hand and portable power tools and motorized equipment such as mowers, tractors, sprayers, saws, tillers, trimmers, etc.; supervises lower level, seasonal staff and volunteers in the care of plant material; provides for materials and supplies in support of this work; assists with training and support of seasonal gardeners and interns; answers questions for park visitors about horticulture, history and design, and general park information; leads horticultural tours and assists with special programs, as needed; operates light trucks and other motor vehicles as required in the performance of duties; may be required to load and unload materials, tools and equipment of varying weights and sizes as needed in the performance of duties assigned; performs routine manual maintenance tasks required to develop, maintain and repair associated plantings, buildings, roads and equipment; maintains equipment and supplies properly and ensures that they are stored safely; performs snow and ice control measures and maintains grounds and structures as needed; performs other related duties as required. The incumbent will work closely with volunteers, the community, and vendors to assure NYS Parks’ mission is always met.
- 1. four years of technical experience in horticulture, plant propagation, nursery, or greenhouse work, which includes plant pest and disease detection and control. This experience must include one year of supervisory experience;*
- Or 2. Associate's Degree in horticulture, agronomy, forestry, or an agricultural related field and two years of technical experience in horticulture, plant propagation, nursery, or greenhouse work, which includes plant pest and disease detection and control;*
- Or 3. a bachelor's or higher-level degree in horticulture, agronomy, forestry, or an agricultural related field.*
- *NOTE: Individuals appointed provisionally must take and pass a Civil Service examination for this position and be reachable; i.e., be one of the top three (3) candidates on the resulting eligible list willing to accept the position
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor and to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Selected candidate must possess and maintain a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License as a term and condition of employment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff and with park patrons. Ability to read, comprehend and prepare written materials.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and use lawn/garden equipment and small hand tools
- Selected candidate must obtain a PESTICIDE APPLICATOR'S LICENSE (category 3A) within 6 months of appointment and maintain it as a term and condition of employment.
- Employee must be qualified and medically cleared to /wear a respirator and have knowledge of good safety practices which must be utilized.
- Selected candidate must be capable of and willing to learn to competently operate specialized grounds care equipment assigned to the facility such as aerator, power rake, sod cutter and over-seeder.
- Preference will be given to individuals with progressive experience in the care of trees & shrubs --and have the ability to perform such work with little direct supervision.
- Selected candidate must complete CPR/AED training within the probationary period and must maintain the certification as a term and condition of employment.
- Incumbent is required to take and pass chainsaw certification - levels 1, 2, 3 when training is given as a term and condition of employment
- Willingness and ability to support projects and operating needs at additional parks throughout the New York City Region
- Daytime, weekend, holiday, and evening work is required.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.
If you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the Agency operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can download an employment application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com . Please submit your cover letter, application and resume to NYCVacancies@parks.ny.gov . Please include in your subject line: “Hort Tech 2 – Riverbank”. Electronic submissions are encouraged. You may also mail your application materials to NYC Regional Business Office, NYS Parks and Recreation - 17th Floor, 163 West 125th Street, New York, NY 10027 Attn: Personnel.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide their current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.